Aim of the project
The vision of e-lib.ch: Swiss Electronic Library is to set up a national science portal as a single point of access for research and verification of academic information from and for the whole of Switzerland.
Description of the project
E-lib.ch is an innovation and cooperation project of the Swiss University Conference (SUK) with the involvement of the ETH Board and the Swiss Federal Office for Professional Education and Technology (BBT).
The Web portal e-lib.ch offers access to the extensive holdings of Swiss university libraries and a wide range of other institutions. Additionally, e-lib.ch also provides a broad spectrum of flexible and needs-based services. These range between the following fields: digitization, development of tools for optimal use of digital academic contents, research and specialist portals and the facilitation of information and research competences. The resources and services available on e-lib.ch are the result of a variety of sub-projects conducted across Switzerland, strengthening cooperation between libraries and academic organisations.
Project management and coordination service for the project are based at the ETH-Bibliothek and closely linked to the office of the Consortium of Swiss Academic Libraries. The total amount of state subsidies within the first funding period (2008−2011) was CHF 10 million. During the transition year 2012 the project will be funded by another CHF 1.8 million. Throughout the project period the participating institutions also make contributions of the same amount.
- KUB (Konferenz der Universitätsbibliotheken) as the customer
- CRUS (Rectors' Conference of the Swiss Universities)
- KFH (Rectors' Conference of the Swiss Universities of Applied Sciences)
- SUK (Swiss University Conference): Financing of the involvement of the cantonal universities
- ETH Board: Financing of the involvement of the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology and the research institutions of the ETH sector
- BBT (Federal Office for Professional Education and Technology): Financing of the involvement of the technical colleges
2008 bis 2012
20 subprojects with different durations and individual milestones.