ETH Library provides electronic and printed holdings of books, reference works and language courses.
E-books (electronic books)
- Full text versions available online
- Access for members of ETH Zurich to licensed e-books in the ETH Zurich network
- Access for all external users to licensed e-books in the public areas of ETH Library
- E-books from the Rare Books Collection are freely accessible online.
- E-Lending: Borrowing e-books electronically
- E-book providers' platforms
- Most of the printed monographs are not freely accessible and have to be ordered online on the Knowledge Portal. ETH Library is a storage library.
- Open access resources are available in the Baubibliothek, Bibliothek Erdwissenschaften, GESS-Bibliothek and Grüne Bibliothek.
- Most documents published after 1900 can be borrowed or else they can be viewed in the Reading Room Collections and Archives.
Books published before 1900
- With a few exceptions, the documents in the Rare Books Collection can be ordered online on the Knowledge Portal.
- They can be viewed in the Reading Room Collections and Archives but cannot be borrowed.
- Depending on the location of the stack, documents ordered are available for viewing in the Reading Room Collections and Archives within 3 to 24 hours. They remain available for 7 working days.
- Books which cannot be ordered online can be requested for viewing using this form: Antrag für die Benutzung von Sonderbeständen der Sammlung Alte und Seltene Drucke (pdf, 57.25 kB) (German). These books can only be used by prior arrangement.
- Research platforms with digital content from rare books
Digital textbook collection
Textbooks and standard works in digital form relating to all subjects
Reference collection Study and Career Development
Reference collection at the ETH Library's InfoCenter as well as at least one borrowable copy in the stacks
- Search and order via the Knowledge Portal. You can collect the language courses at the circulation desk.
- German, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish and other languages from all over the world
- Various levels of difficulty (e.g. preparation for examinations)
- Mostly supplemented by multimedia aids such as CD, CD-ROM or video
- Self-Access Center Hönggerberg: various printed and audio-visual media to teach yourself a language