The ETH-Bibliothek has an extensive collection of up-to-date and historical maps and geodata. This material is available for use in the Reading Room Collections and Archives.
- Scientific, technical and topographical maps as well as atlases from the 19th to the 21st century: individual maps, map books, maps from cantonal surveys, street maps, panoramic maps and satellite photographs
- All geodata products from Swisstopo and the Federal Statistical Office as well as digital summary maps from cantonal surveying
- Up-to-date and historical aerial photographs of Switzerland (orthophotos and angle shots)
- Rare and valuable maps from the 18th and 19th centuries
Searching and using
- The entire map holdings are available in the Knowledge Portal and can be ordered electronically.
- Map material is provided in the Reading Room Collections and Archives within three hours and will remain available for seven days.
- The maps can only be used in the Reading Room Collections and Archives. Excerpts from pages of maps can be digitized or copied in colour.
- National maps of Switzerland and some CDs are available for borrowing.
- Use the "Resource Type", "Scale" and "Genre" filter options to refine searches in the Knowledge Portal.
- You can also search in Kartenportal.CH for easy and intuitive access to map material.
- On request, we will help you with your search for map material.
- Printed maps can also be found in the Baubibliothek, Bibliothek Erdwissenschaften and Grüne Bibliothek.
Maps of Switzerland
All national maps of Switzerland (from approx. 1940) can be borrowed. Overview grids with links to the catalogue:
- Map of Switzerland 1:25,000 (pdf, 217 kB)
- Map of Switzerland 1:50,000 (pdf, 194 kB)
- Map of Switzerland 1:100,000 (pdf, 163 kB)
- Map of Switzerland 1:200,000, 1:300,000, 1:500 000, 1:1,000,000
- Map of Switzerland 1:50 000 with ski and snowboard routes
- Map of Switzerland 1:50 000 with hiking routes
- Geological Atlas of Switzerland 1:25,000 (no circulation, pdf, 94 kB)
- All geodata can be searched in the Knowledge Portal.
- Due to licensing restrictions, geodata from Swisstopo may only be used by employees and students of ETH Zurich for academic purposes.
- Employees of ETH Zurich can select and download geodata products from Swisstopo using GeoVITE. Students of ETH Zurich can use the GeoVITE function Export Cart.
- All other geodata can be obtained in the Reading Room Collections and Archives.
- Databases can be accessed by members of ETH Zurich via the ETH Zurich network and by external users in the public areas of the ETH-Bibliothek.
- An ArcGIS workstation is available in the Reading Room Collections and Archives for carrying out analyses and data conversions using the following programs: ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap 10, ArcCatalog, ArcScene), Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop.
- On request, we will help you with your search for suitable Internet resources.
- Information on obtaining up-to-date orthophotos from Swisstopo (Swissimage, Spot, Landsat) can be found in the "Geodata" section.
- Members of ETH Zurich can obtain further historical orthophotos from Swisstopo via the ETH-Bibliothek.
- A small range of analogue orthophotos from Swisstopo cannot be found in the Knowledge Portal. Overview grid (pdf, 140 kB) with a link to the list of holdings
- A large collection of digitized historical aerial photographs (primarily angle shots) can be searched in the Knowledge Portal.