ETH Library has an extensive and historically valuable collection of images. Selected photographs are being digitized and these can be searched for in the Knowledge Portal and in Bildarchiv Online (external link).
Archive of the photographic agency Comet Photo AG
- Era: 1952 to 1999
- Subjects: architecture, culture, nature, politics, sport, technology, transport, etc., relating to Switzerland
- Portraits of famous Swiss and international personalities
- Aerial photographs of landscapes, the infrastructure and buildings of Switzerland
Documenta Natura Archive
- Era: 1987 to 2010
- Comparative documentary photographs on changes in landscapes and townscapes in Switzerland, mostly in long-term observations, taken by professional photographers
- Subjects: settlement areas, wasteland, agricultural land, traffic systems, industrial buildings, housing, traffic projects, tourist projects, renaturation schemes, afforestation schemes, storm damage
Industrial Culture Foundation Archive
- Era: 1965 to 2015
- Holding recordings and reports by Dr. Hans-Peter Bärtschi on technical objects such as industrial buildings and means of transport in Switzerland and worldwide
- Subjects: industry and transport in Switzerland and worldwide
Luftbild Schweiz Archive
- Era: 1918 to 2011
- Aerial photographs taken by Walter Mittelholzer during flights in Switzerland and abroad
- Vertical and angle shots of Switzerland, taken by Swissair Photo AG
Photographs in personal papers
- Photographs and drawings from the personal papers of emeritus professors
- Image holdings from the institutes of ETH Zurich and scientific associations affiliated to ETH Zurich
- Photographs in personal papers are described in inventories and in the Archivdatenbank Online (external link).
- Ackeret, Jakob; Ammann, Othmar H.
- Friedländer, Immanuel; Frey-Wyssling, Albert
- Heim, Albert; Heim, Arnold; Huber-Stockar, Emil
- Jaray, Paul
- Labhardt, Eugen
- Maillart, Robert; Meyer-von Gonzenbach, Rolf
- Neuenschwander, Gustav
- Plaskowski, Zbigniew
- Ruzicka, Leopold
- Scherrer, Paul; Schröter, Carl; Stodola, Aurel
- Waldmeier, Max; Wehrli, Leo; Wolfer, Alfred
- Akademischer Ingenieurverein AIV (Academic Engineers Association)
- Eidgenössische Sternwarte (Swiss Federal Observatory)
- Geobotanical Institute (Stiftung Rübel)
- Geological Institute
- Glaciological Commission of the SAS
- Institute of Aerodynamics
- Institute of Historic Building Research
- Institute of Electrical Engineering
- Institut für Pflanzenbau (Institute of Horticulture)
- Institute of Transport Planning and Systems
- Laboratory for Inorganic Chemistry
- Photographisches Institut (Photographic Institute)
- Portraits of former members and students of ETH Zurich and of well-known scientists
Swissair Photo Archive
- Era: 1931 to 2001
- Photographs and films relating to civil aviation, showing the operations, aircraft and destinations of Swissair
- Era: from the 1860s onwards
- Historical photographs of buildings, institutes, auditoriums and laboratories at ETH Zurich
- Photographs relating to the history of science and technology
- Landscapes and views of places in Switzerland and other countries
- The Adolf Feller postcard collection, with views of Switzerland and other countries
Searching and using
- The image holdings of ETH Library are gradually being digitized selectively.
- To search for photographs that have already been digitized but are not yet published in the Knowledge Portal or in the Bildarchiv Online, there is a database access available in the Reading Room Collections and Archives.
- Documents that have not yet been digitized and inventories can be used in the Reading Room Collections and Archives. Please book in advance.
- On request, photographs can be digitized for a fee. The images can also be ordered as high-quality prints. This service carries a charge.
- The photographs are used subject to copyright restrictions.