geodata4edu.ch – the national portal for geodata in teaching and research
geodata4edu.ch provides Swiss universities with central access to a comprehensive range of federal and cantonal geodata requiring a licence. The portal gives researchers and students from different scientific disciplines and with different levels of GIS knowledge easier access to geodata to be used, among other things, for analyses, visualisations and modellings.
Advantages of geodata4edu.ch
This service has the following advantages:
- User-friendly access to directly usable geodata
- Central data infrastructure with a comprehensive range of geodata (it is not necessary to do combined searches for data from different sources)
- Targeted search for available geodata in the metadata catalogue
- Easy access due to SWITCHaai authentication
- User-oriented display and download options for further processing in CAD or GIS programs
- Access to clear graphic browser representations for those with basic GIS knowledge
- Access to entire datasets via web services for those with advanced GIS knowledge
Advantages for partner institutions
All researchers and students at partner universities are entitled to access the data. For the university, participation means minimising administrative effort spent on data provision and licence agreements since these are dealt with centrally via geodata4edu.ch. The geodata4edu.ch office also provides users with technical support and training documents.
The service will be subsidised by swissuniversities between now and the end of 2018. During such time, participation in geodata4edu.ch is therefore possible on preferential financial conditions. From 2019, geodata4edu.ch will be financed by the partner universities themselves.
geodata4edu.ch is a cooperation between ETH Zurich (ETH Library, Institute for Cartography and Geoinformation) and the HSR Hochschule für Technik Rapperswil.