ETH Zurich DOI Desk
ETH Zurich's DOI Desk is the official DOI registration office for Switzerland's university and research sector.
It enables providers of publication services to register DOI names for digital objects, e.g. research reports, dissertations, research data, digitized images etc., on the internet.
Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
A Digital Object Identifier (DOI) is used to give an electronic document a unique designation.
Example of a DOI name: 10.3929/ethz-a-000565688
The DOI name enables the citability of research results and materials published online. It is a permanent identifier which takes the user to the current version of the relevant web page and thus represents an advantage over citing by means of a frequently temporary URL address.
Resolving DOI names
Type or copy a DOI name in the text field below and the corresponding document is opened in your web browser.
Alternatively, you can find a DOI-object directly in your web browser by prefixing the DOI name with the text string https://doi.org/
Example: https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-a-000565688 (external link)
Registering DOI names
In accordance with the policy (pdf, 239 kB) , organisational units (not individuals) from the field of higher education and research in Switzerland are authorised to register DOIs. Digital objects can be primary data (research data) or secondary data (e.g. dissertations, working papers, articles, digitized resources).
Prior to registration, an agreement is entered with ETH Zurich's DOI Desk, under which the results of the preliminary technical and organisational clarifications are documented.
For academic institutions and non-profit-making companies:
- Initialisation fee: CHF 200, one-off payment when the contract is concluded
- Basic fee: CHF 200, due once a year from initial registration, registration of up to 50 DOIs per year included
- DOI top-up: CHF 800, due annually on top of the basic fee if more than 50 DOIs are registered, registration of an unlimited number of DOIs included
For organisational units of ETH Zurich: DOI registration is free of charge for you.
For profit-oriented companies: prices upon request
DOIs for individual publications
To obtain a single DOI, we recommend authors from ETH Zurich to publish their document or dataset via the Research Collection (external link). You can also obtain the DOI before the actual publication (Reserving a DOI (external link)).
We recommend that authors from other institutions publish their paper or research data via the repository Zenodo.
The DOI-Desk Newsletter keeps subscribers up to date with the latest developments regarding DOI registration, DataCite and the International DOI Foundation. It is published in English once or twice a year.
To register, please enter your email address.
- Archive Ouverte – University of Geneva (external link)
- BORIS – University of Berne (external link)
- digitalcollection – ZHAW (external link)
- edoc – University of Basel (external link)
- edoc – ZHB Luzern (external link)
- emono – University Basel (external link)
- Infoscience – ETH Lausanne (external link)
- PHIQ – Pädagogische Hochschule St. Gallen (external link)
- Research Collection – ETH Zurich (external link)
- ZORA – University of Zurich (external link)
- Astronomie-rara – Selected works about astronomy up to 1900 (external link)
- e-codices – Mediaeval manuscripts and a selection of early modern manuscripts from Switzerland (external link)
- e-manuscripta.ch – Digitized manuscript material such as texts, correspondence, music notes, pictures, maps, plans from Swiss libraries and archives (external link)
- E-Periodica – Swiss scientific journals from a variety of subject fields (external link)
- E-Pics Animal, plants and biotopes – Images by Albert Krebs and Hans R. Reinhard (external link)
- E-Pics Art Inventory – Objects from ETH Zurich's Art inventory (external link)
- E-Pics Image Archive Online (external link) and E-Pics Rare Books – Collections of photographs and other image documents belonging to the ETH Library (external link)
- E-Pics Earth Science Collections – Rocks from the Earth Science Collections (external link)
- E-Pics Collection of Astronomical Instruments – Historical instruments collection (external link)
- e-rara.ch – Rare and valuable prints from the 15th to the 19th centuries from Swiss libraries (external link)
- ETH Zurich Web Archive – Selected parts of ETH Zurich's web presence (external link)
- Graphische Sammlung Zürich – Hand drawings, printed graphics, artists' books and multiples from Graphische Sammlung at ETH Zurich
- DATA@IUMSP – Institut universitaire de médecine sociale et préventive, Lausanne (external link)
- ETH Data Archive – ETH Zurich
- IT'IS – Foundation for Research on Information Technologies in Society (external link)
- Materials Cloud – Web platform for materials scientists (external link)
- MeteoSwiss – Climatology (external link)
- Model Archive – University of Basel, Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics (external link)
- NFI – knowledge about the Swiss forest (external link)
- PERMOS – Swiss Permafrost Monitoring Network (external link)
- SICAS Medical Image Repository – Swiss Institute for Computer Assisted Surgery (external link)
- Swiss Seismological Service (SED) (external link)
- VAW – Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (external link)
- World Glacier Monitoring Service – University of Zurich (external link)
- WSL – Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research (external link)
- ALT Proceedings – Proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Laser Technologies (external link)
- altrelettere (external link)
- Applied Rheology (external link)
- BAF-Online – Proceedings of the Berner Altorientalisches Forum (external link)
- HASBonline – Hefte zur Archäologie des Mittelmeerraumes aus Bern (external link)
- Informationswissenschaft: Theorie, Methode und Praxis (external link)
- itw: im dialog (external link)
- Jahrbuch Diakonie Schweiz (external link)
- Journal für Psychoanalyse (external link)
- Journal of Eye Movement Research (external link)
- Journal of Radiation Oncology Informatics (external link)
- Linguistik Online (external link)
- Revue Francophone de Recherche en Ergothérapie (external link)
- Schriftenreihe Kulturpflanzen in der Schweiz (external link)
- Social Change in Switzerland (external link)
- socialpolicy.ch (external link)
- Studies in Communication Science (external link)
- sui generis (external link)
- Survey Methods: Insights from the Field (external link)
- Versants. Revista suiza de literaturas románicas (external link)
- 027.7 – Zeitschrift für Bibliothekskultur (external link)
- Explora – A world of experience by ETH Library (external link)
- foucaultblog (external link)
- Innovation@ETH-Bibliothek (external link)
- IUMSP Publications (external link)
- LIVES Working Papers (external link)
- Quaderni de DODIS – Diplomatische Dokumente der Schweiz (external link)
- Working papers Liechtenstein-Institut (external link)