Workflow systems aid the efficient and effective organisation of the complex digitization process. The allocation and systematics of file names is one aspect of the workflow. This section outlines possibilities of automating individual work steps in the digitization process.
Software solutions support the workflow from scanning and importing data to providing it on the internet. Even mass digitization projects can be conducted and managed efficiently with their aid.
Workflow systems are structured modularly and governed by the typical project procedure. The individual tools and functions can be subdivided broadly into indexing and management, and presentation.
For instance, the software Goobi (external link) is commonplace in the library sector.
Practical example – workflow software E-Periodica
The journal projects by E-Periodica (external link) are carried out with the software Agora by the company SRZ Berlin (external link), which offers various modules for the management of heterogeneous data types:
- Agora Process (converter): Windows service for batch-based image processing and format conversion, as well as interface with OCR engines
- Agora XML Editor: recording bibliographical and structural metadata
- Agora Production Repository: storage and indexing of object information, such as full text, structural and metadata
- Online Repository: tool for presentation on the internet
Practical example – workflow software e-rara.ch and e-manuscripta.ch
The two aforementioned projects are being conducted based on the Software Visual Library (external link), produced by semantics (external link) and provided by the company Walter Nagel (external link).
Based on this multi-client-enabled platform, the following steps can be processed:
- Import of the digital copies from the libraries
- Automatic ingestion of the corresponding metadata from the various catalogue systems
- Automatic conversion into the display format JPEG and processing for the zoom view
- Partially automated quality assurance (not currently used in either project).
- Recording of the structural and pagination data
- Online presentation on the native web portals
- Creation of search filters based on facets, lists and clouds
- Automatic dispatch of archive capsules to local sites