Interlibrary loans: ordering documents for loan
Order documents for loan that are not available on ETH Library's Search Portal (external link) or cannot be ordered online. We will search for and order documents for you in libraries in this country and abroad.
This service is free of charge for members of ETH Zurich. We will charge external customers Fees (pdf, 200.40 kB).
Individual documents such as diploma theses, dissertations or older works that were published prior to 1900 may only be viewed on ETH Library's premises. Their consultation is only possible upon leaving a piece of ID at the Information Desk in the InfoCenter.
Dissertations and reports are sometimes only available for loans as microfiches. Reading devices are provided in ETH Library's Collections and Archives Reading Room.
- Works that are available on location (these also include works that are currently out on loan, cannot be found at short notice or belong to the reference collection)
- Works that convey elementary or purely practical knowledge (for example entertainment and hobby literature, new travel guides)
- Works that can only be ordered abroad and can be purchased from book shops for under CHF 25 or EUR 20
- Reference works, patents and norms, loose-leaf collections
- Entire bound volumes, newspaper volumes and newspaper issues from abroad
Please consider that individual documents such as diploma theses, dissertations etc. or older works are sometimes very difficult to locate and procure and, in certain instances, the order cannot be effected.
As a rule, an interlibrary loan is only carried out once for one title. Double orders will be cancelled.
- From Switzerland: about 2 weeks
- From abroad: about 2 to 6 weeks
These times may be delayed considerably for documents that are already out on loan or difficult to procure.
- The loan periods stipulated by the supplying library are binding.
- Otherwise, a loan period of 2 weeks will apply with renewals upon request.